SKU SF000806 Category


Built at Thomas Fishburn Shipyard in 1764 in Whitby England as the collier EARL OF PEMBROKE. Refitted and renamed HIS MAJESTY’S BARK ENDEAVOUR in 1768 for James Cook’s expedition of 1769-1771. In April 1770 ENDEAVOUR became the first seagoing vessel to reach the east coast of Australia, when Cook went ashore at what is now known as Botany Bay in April 1770.

Commissioned: 26 May 1768
Decommissioned: September 1774 and scuttled in Newport USA 1778
Displacement: 368 71/94 tonnes
Overall Length: 106ft
Beam: 29ft 3ins
Speed: 7 to 8 knots maximum
Sail Plan: Fully rigged ship, 3,321 square yards of sail
Boats carried: Yawl, pinnace, longboat, 2 skiffs
Armament: 10×4 pounders plus 12 swivel guns
Crew: 94 total: 71 crew, 12 Royal Marines, 11 civilians

Additional information

Textile, Wood